Monday, July 18, 2011

An Idea for a Cupcake Tower

Last summer I worked with a bride who was looking for a contemporary cupcake tower for her wedding cupcakes.   If you've ever shopped for cupcake towers,  you know it's difficult to find one that is both affordable, sturdy, and modern looking.
I wandered through Michael's Craft shop looking for something I might use for that cupcake tower...when I came upon a great sale for artists' canvases, the kind typically used for oil painting.  Since they were available in a large number of sizes, and seemed quite strong, I stacked a few to see if this idea would work...here's a picture I took while at the Michael's to send to the bride for her consent to the project.  She texted me a thumb's up, and I had an interesting project to construct.

I hot glued 2 canvases together to make each tier.  Then, covered each with high quality white gift paper which was also hot glued in place.  I attached a layer of foam core to the bottom of each tier for extra support.  The tiers were then glued to each other for stability.  Then, wooden legs were screwed into the base of the largest tier (thanks, hubby).  A white ribbon was glued around the base of each tier to cover the raw edge.  Voila...
I've used this set up a few times since that lovely wedding...once for displaying my beautiful Marbleized Chocolate Dipped Strawberries.  (Sorry, I didn't get a shot of the berries on the display...)
And, most recently, for a Cupcake Tower for a children's birthday party with a FarmYard theme...how fun?!

I disovered a great new product; washi tape; I used washi tape in assorted colors for the trim on this FarmYards Cupcake stand; it is so much easier to use than ribbon and hot glue.

It's the details that really make these events so wonderful...here are some closeups of the darling farmyard cupcakes:
I hope this gives you some inspiration for your next party...
Cheers,
Claudia

No comments:

Post a Comment