Sunday, May 22, 2011

A Trio of Sweet Birthday Cakes

Swirly Brownie Cheesecake with Fruit Crown
 Every once in a while, I get to make a swirly, fun, delicious cake of my own fanciful design.  This lovely cake is made annually for a sweet young lady in my neighborhood who loves cheesecake.  This cheesecake has a chewy brownie base, whorls of cream cheese icing, and loads of dark chocolate dipped berries on top.  Don't those swirls make you want to lick the frosting?

Angelina Ballerina Birthday Cake

I've been making birthday cakes for little Nicola for the last 3 of her 5 years.  Each year, her mother has a great idea for Nicola's cake.  I've raised 3 sons (alas, no daughters), so I'm lucky to have clients who know just the right character to make their little girls smile.  I decided to make Angelina out of modeling chocolate; isn't she sweet?



Baby Boy's Springtime Birthday Cake with a Banner
If you read Amy Atlas's dessert blog, you know that banners are hot hot hot in the party planning community.  I was so happy to incorporate a sugar banner on this baby boy's cake.  I wanted to celebrate his birthday, and the long awaited spring season, as well. 
When I first started making custom cakes, I'd whip up a drawing, sell the cake based on the drawing.  And then realize; oops; the cake has to look like the sketch...sometimes easier drawn than decorated.  I've learned to think more carefully before getting a client excited about a design that is not technically possible.  

Hope you're enjoying your spring season!
xo, Claudia

No comments:

Post a Comment